Here first some Healthy Skin Tips:
- Drink plenty of water to flush out toxins, increase elasticity and keep your skin clear.
- Get plenty of sleep – lack of sleep can leave our skin looking tired and drawn and no amount of skincare products can cover up extreme tiredness.
- Take time to relax – stress can have a negative effect on your skin. In the fast paced world of today, it is important to take some time out each day for yourself.
- Take regular exercise as this increases the oxygen flow and helps your circulation to maintain that healthy glow. Exercise is also a great stress reliever.
- Exfoliate once or twice a week to keep skin in tip top condition – this includes both face and body. Always use a gentle scrub or light chemical peel treatment to avoid irritation.
- Skin is often affected by our hormones so maintain the balance by taking a good supplement that will help such as Evening Primrose Oil
- Eat more natural foods and avoid foods that contain lots of chemicals or saturated fat. Natural foods with plenty of fruit and veg will provide more nutrients and anti-oxidants for your skin. If you don’t think that you are getting enough nutrients, consider taking a multi vitamin and mineral supplement.
There are many uses for witch hazel and it has been used for generations as an effective natural skin care treatment and its popularity and effectiveness means that it is often used in mainstream skin products and well as in its pure form.
Witch Hazel can be found in most stores in the form of astringent, medicated pads, creams, toners and facial washes. There are many benefits to this herb and here are just some uses for witch hazel for common skin problems:
- Witch Hazel is effective against acne due to its antioxidant and astringent properties. Many acne medications are harsh on the skin and full of chemicals. Witch Hazel on the other hand is gentle and non-drying making it a better choice for those with sensitive skin.
- In liquid astringent form, it is also effective for sores, bruises and swelling and since it is gentle, it can be used several times a day on the affected area to both soothe and treat the symptoms.
- Other skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis and sunburn can be treated with Witch Hazel which can help soothe both the visible symptoms and the pain associated with them. To treat these types of skin conditions, a cream form may be the best method.
- Witch Hazel is also effective for treating exposure for poison ivy helping with the itching and swelling and making it a more gentle choice to treat the unpleasant effects of contact with this plant.
- It is also effective on haemorrhoids and varicose veins due to its anti-inflammatory properties. It can both shrink the haemorrhoids and varicose veins as well as helping with the pain associated with these conditions. Medicated pads are the best choice.
How do I use Witch Hazel?
If you want to grow your own witch hazel, you need to make a tea or tincture out of the leaves. Steep 2 – 3grams of witch hazel leaf in a cup boiling water for about 15 minutes. Tincture is made by placing the bark in alcohol, allowing the alcohol to extract the beneficial oils of the plant.
Witch hazel is an effective but gentle treatment for a wide variety of skin conditions and used properly is has very few side effects. Some herbalists have also used witch hazel to internally treat some conditions although there are some debates about its safety so this is a method that is best avoided.